How To Treat Ulcers: Can Natural Remedies Help
This article was co-authored by Zora Degrandpre, ND. Dr. Zora Degrandpre is a Natural Health Doctor and Licensed Naturopathic Physician in Vancouver, Washington. She is a grant reviewer for the National Institutes of Health and the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. She received her ND from the National College of Natural Medicine in 2007.There are 20 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page.wikiHow marks an article as reader-approved once it receives enough positive feedback. In this case, 100% of readers who voted found the article helpful, earning it our reader-approved status. This article has been viewed 99,415 times.
An ulcer is a bacterial infection that causes a sore to develop in your stomach or upper intestine. This can cause pain and a burning sensation, which is very uncomfortable. While ulcers are treatable, they do require professional treatment instead of home remedies. If you notice a persistent burning in your stomach that gets worse after eating, then visit your doctor to check if you have an ulcer. If you do, then follow the doctors treatment advice, which often involves prescription antibiotics to clear the bacterial infection.XTrustworthy SourceMayo ClinicEducational website from one of the world’s leading hospitalsGo to source After you see your doctor, then you can take the following steps to relieve your ulcer pain while it heals.
Cautions About Natural Remedies For Ulcers
If a person does go on the herbal route, we would stress the need for re-evaluation following treatment. If the infection still persists after botanical agents have been wisely applied in conjunction with any other needed lifestyle measures, judicious use of antibiotics may prove helpful. Indeed, in certain cases the risk factors for stomach cancer may make antibiotics a necessity.
Note that probiotic supplementation such as that in lactobacillus- and bifidobacterium-containing yogurt can improve the antibiotic eradication rates of H. pylori in humans and/or decrease their adverse side effects. Probiotics also decrease mucosal inflammation, thus accelerating healing of the gastric mucosal barrier.3,4
Need A Help From The Leading Expert Online Available 24/7
Theyre all here and ready to answer your questions online or by phone. Keep asking questions until you get the answer you need.
- Stomach Bleeding
Peptic ulcer causes lesions in the gastric mucosa. Then, the blood vessels may break and cause hemorrhage. In severe cases, severe ulcerative wounds can cause severe bleeding, leading to death.
- Gastric Perforation
This is the most serious consequence of which all patients are terrified. Chronic peptic ulcer damages multiple layers of stomach structure, causing gastric perforation. Patients who bleed a lot will lead to severe blood loss and death.
Peptic ulcer stimulates the activation of malignant cells, forming malignant tumors in the stomach. Stomach cancer is very dangerous because it can cause rapid death. In particular, the risk of stomach cancer is higher if the peptic ulcer is caused by Hp bacteria . Doctors always recommend this because up to 40% of stomach cancer is caused by peptic ulcer.
In order to prevent the consequences of peptic ulcer, patients should detect and treat it as soon as they detect its symptoms.
What Are Common Causes Of Peptic Ulcer?
Here are common causes of this disease:
- Helicobacter Pylori
- Excessive Stress
- Non-Scientific Diet And Lifestyle
- Anti-Inflammatory And Analgesic Drugs
- Tobacco, Alcohol And Stimulants
- Genetic Factors
One of the most common causes of peptic ulcer is related to the family history. If any member of your family has this disease, your risk will be higher.
Recommended Reading: Prednisone For Ulcerative Colitis Reviews
Conventional Stomach Ulcer Treatments
Your doctor will likely suggest the use of the following treatments for ulcer healing and prevention:
- Stopping the use of NSAIDs, alcohol, and cigarettes.
- Using antacids and acid-reducing medications as a temporary way to reduce ulcer pain.
- Proton pump inhibitors , histamine blockers, H2-receptor antagonists like Ranitidine or the protectant sucralfate can also be prescribed to coat the stomach lining and protect ulcers from being further damaged by stomach acids.
- Antibiotics may be prescribed to manage or inhibit the growth of H. pylori.
Are There Any Side Effects Of Remedies For Ulcers
The side effects of these natural home remedies for ulcers may include:
- Consuming excess cabbage can lead to gastric or flatulence problems. If you are belching too much, you may have to stop eating cabbage. People suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome can experience diarrhoea if they have excess cabbage.
- Eating bananas in excess may trigger headaches or a feeling of drowsiness in some people.
- Coconut milk can trigger allergies or cause constipation in some people. It can also result in weight gain and increases cholesterol levels.
- Having raw garlic can lead to a feeling of burning sensation in your throat or mouth, nausea, vomiting, heartburn, gas or diarrhoea. Apart from that, consuming raw garlic can also result in body odour or unpleasant breath.
- Excess honey can lead to constipation, bloating, diarrhoea and stomach cramping. Keep the amount in check if you are consuming it regularly.
Summary: Despite being effective, certain home remedies have some side effects which vary from person to person, so choose your home remedy only if you are not allergic or sensitive to the particular substance. Do not use any home remedies in excess as it may be harmful to health.
Also Check: Do Ulcers Make You Lose Weight
Lifestyle Changes To Help You Cope With Peptic Ulcer
Our health deteriorates due to the imbalanced lifestyle that we follow. Regularly practicing the following steps can keep a check on peptic ulcer problems.
- Practicing Healthy Diet Habits:- Choosing a healthy diet full of fruits, cereals, vegetables and vitamin rich foods can help in healing peptic ulcer effectively.
- Stress Control:- Stress worsens the condition of a peptic ulcer, so developing habit of coping with stress through effective exercise and pursuing hobbies is recommended.
- Quit Smoking To Prevent Peptic Ulcer:- Smoking increases the concentration of stomach acid and may create problem by interfering with the stomachs protective lining and cause ulcers like peptic ulcer.
- Avoid Alcohol Consumption To Stop Stomach Inflammation And Peptic Ulcers:- Excessive consumption of alcohol can lead to irritation and eroding of the mucous lining of intestine and stomach which ultimately leads to bleeding and inflammation and also causes peptic ulcers.
- Food Intolerance:- Avoid taking spicy and junk food and keep a check on intake of food items which causes irritation and heat in the stomach and causes ulcer. Emphasis should be given on cooling foods. Limit the intake of caffeine and sugar.
Peptic ulcers are generally the outcome of an unhealthy lifestyle and food habits. Holistic alternative and home remedies can pave the way to address the root cause of the problem and leading a healthier life.
Home Remedies For Peptic Ulcer
What is Peptic Ulcer?
Peptic Ulcer is also known as Stomach Ulcer, Duodenal Ulcer, or Esophageal Ulcer depending on the location of the Ulcer. Peptic Ulcer is a painful condition that is usually caused by long term use of non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs or bacterial infection caused by Helicobacter pylori bacterium. The pain and discomfort tends to get worse with time in the absence of proper treatment.
Stomach or Gastric Ulcers generally form on the upper curve of the stomach. Duodenal Ulcer and Esophageal Ulcer are ulcers occurring in the Duodenum and Esophagus respectively. Duodenum is the first section of the small intestine. Esophagus is the tube that connects the mouth to the stomach.
Erosion of the lining of these organs by strong stomach acids and digestive juices leads to the formation of sores and lesions. These sores in the lining of the digestive tract are referred to as Peptic Ulcers. Empty stomach gives rise to more stomach acids thereby aggravating the problem and making the pain even severe.
Peptic Ulcers are generally treated with the help of antibiotics in case they are caused by bacterial infections. But, nowadays people have started looking for natural cures in the form of natural home remedies for Peptic Ulcers to heal the disease safely and successfully without the risk of any harmful side effects. Timely treatment of this ailment and taking preventive measures can help avoid serious complications requiring surgeries.
Causes of Peptic Ulcer
Surgery And Other Procedures
If bleeding from an ulcer does not stop with medication and supportive care , a physician called a gastroenterologist will perform an endoscopy. He first identifies the ulcer and the area that is bleeding, then injects medications to stop the bleeding and stimulate the formation of a blood clot. If the bleeding recurs or you have a perforated ulcer or an obstruction, surgery may be required. About 30% of people who come to the hospital with a bleeding ulcer need endoscopy or surgery.
Causes And Risk Factors
Stomach ulcers are most often caused due to:
- A bacterial infection caused by Helicobacter pylori.
- Long-term use of anti-inflammatory medications, like aspirin, ibuprofen, or naproxen.
- A medical condition called Zollinger-Ellison syndrome that increases the production of body acids.
The risk factors for stomach ulcers are:
- Age above 50 years
- A diet that consists of spicy foods
It is highly recommended to begin treatment as soon as you observe the onset of stomach ulcers. If left untreated, they may cause internal bleeding and become life-threatening. While mild to moderate ulcers may be healed with the remedies given here, severe cases need medical attention.
Stomach ulcers are like sores in the stomach that cause abdominal pain and discomfort. They are mostly caused due to poor lifestyle choices like smoking and drinking, spicy food, stress, infections, or certain medications. The most common signs of stomach ulcers include a dull pain that improves upon eating or taking antacids, acid reflux, bloating, nausea, loss of appetite from pain, heartburn, burping, and vomit resembling coffee grounds. You may be able to heal mild to moderate cases of stomach ulcers using the home remedies discussed here. However, urgent medical attention is needed for more severe cases as these ulcers can cause internal bleeding and become a life-threatening concern.
Don’t Miss: What Is The Best Medicine For Aphthous Ulcer
What Is A Stomach Ulcer
Why do stomach ulcers give people so much grief? Theyre an open, painful wound. Bacteria weaken the stomachs protective coating, so the acid gets through to the sensitive tissues lining the digestive system. The bacteria and acid work to irritate this lining, causing sores or ulcers.
How do you know if you have one? The warning sign is burning pain felt anywhere from the navel to the breastbone. Its often worse when your stomach is empty and more commonly flares up at night. Its tricky because it can disappear and then return for a few days or weeks.
Less often, too, symptoms can be more serious. The Mayo Clinic outlines the following to watch out for.
Who Is More Likely To Get Ulcers
One in 10 people develops an ulcer. Risk factors that make ulcers more likely include:
- Frequent use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs , a group of common pain relievers that includes ibuprofen .
- A family history of ulcers.
- Illness such as liver, kidney or lung disease.
- Regularly drinking alcohol.
You May Like: Preventing Pressure Ulcers Among Wheelchair Users
What Are Some Ulcer Symptoms
Some people with ulcers dont experience any symptoms. But signs of an ulcer can include:
- Gnawing or burning pain in your middle or upper stomach between meals or at night.
- Pain that temporarily disappears if you eat something or take an antacid.
In severe cases, symptoms can include:
- Dark or black stool .
- Severe pain in your mid- to upper abdomen.
Facts About Peptic Ulcer
- Peptic ulcer is a sore in the inner lining of the esophagus, duodenum or stomach
- The two most important contributing factors to be blamed for ulcers formation are the stomach infection by a bacterium called H. pylori and chronic usage of NSAIDs .
- Smoking Cigarette is also a leading cause for failure of treatment of ulcers.
- Most common symptom is pain that can occur anywhere in the region from the belly button till the breast bone. It occurs after a span of one to three hours after consumption of food or when the stomach is empty. Sometimes it is felt in the back. The pain persists from a couple of minutes to several hours. It is intermittent. The condition worsens during nighttime or when a person is lying down.
Also Check: How To Fix Stomach Ulcers At Home
Ulcers Are Open Sores That Can Erupt On Any Organ Or Tissue Of The Body But Are Usually Found Along The Linings Of The Stomach Duodenum And Esophagus Ulcers That Erupt On The Stomach Or Duodenum Are Called Peptic Ulcers Even Though Ulcers Are Not Life Threatening They Can Be Really Painful And Even Cause Permanent Damage To Your Body Apart From Medication That You Might Have To Take To Treat Ulcers You Can Try These Home Remedies That Have Amazing Ulcer Healing Properties
Ulcers are open sores that can erupt on any organ or tissue of the body but are usually found along the linings of the stomach, duodenum and esophagus. Ulcers that erupt on the stomach or duodenum are called peptic ulcers. Even though ulcers are not life threatening, they can be really painful and even cause permanent damage to your body. Apart from medication that you might have to take to treat ulcers, you can try these home remedies that have amazing ulcer healing properties.
1. Bananas: Bananas promote cell growth in the intestinal tract, which ultimately heals ulcers. They increase mucus secretion in the digestive tract and prevent peptic ulcers or other infections related to the digestive system.
Tip: Cut a few bananas in thin slices and dry them under the sun. Grind the dried slices to make fine powder. Now mix this power with some honey and consume the mixture three times a day to heal peptic ulcers.
2. Honey: Honey has been used for several curative purposes over the years. Its property to treat peptic ulcers is primarily attributed to the presence of glucose oxidase, an enzyme that increases the production of hydrogen peroxide and ultimately kills all harmful bacteria causing peptic ulcers.
Tip: Consume two tablespoons of honey a day. When you start seeing the results, reduce the amount to one tablespoon daily.
Tips to treat ulcers
Recommended Reading: Easy To Digest Foods For Ulcerative Colitis
Signs And Symptoms Of Stomach Ulcers
- Vomiting blood which is dark red or black
- Unexplained weight loss
- Appetite changes.
If symptoms persist, see your doctor because you may require prescription antibiotics or other medication. Over-the-counter options can provide temporary relief, but there are also natural remedies for ulcers to consider.
Don’t Miss: Ulcerative Colitis Cured After 30 Years
When To See A Doctor
People of any age or gender can get stomach ulcers. It must be treated immediately. If left untreated, stomach ulcers may result in bleeding or even a hole in the stomach or bowel.
Conventional ulcer treatment typically relies on medications that can cause side effects, such as headaches and diarrhea. However, in some cases, you just cannot avoid conventional medications. Make sure to discuss with your doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment plan.
Consult your doctor if the symptoms persist or become severe.If you experience symptoms like dizziness, fatigue, weakness, severe back pain, blood in vomit, and bloody or black stools, seek immediate medical attention.
Fortunately, there are several easy-to-follow natural remedies for the treatment of mild cases of stomach ulcers. These remedies usually focus on strengthening and protecting the stomach lining against acids. You may also consult your doctor before using these home remedies to ensure long-term relief.
Recommended Reading: Blood Clots In Stool With Ulcerative Colitis
B Complications Of Peptic Ulcer
When you linger long with peptic ulcer without treatment, you may develop the following health complications.
Duodenal ulcer sometimes leads to bleeding. The high loss of blood may lead to anemia. In instances where it reaches this stage, an emergency precautions should be taken. You need to seek medical attention before settling for the use of remedies.
The ulcer hinders effective movement of food within the belly making you feel full faster.
In severe cases, the ulcers form holes on the lining of the stomach wall. Ulcer wounds on the gut walls can lead to bacterial infection to the delicate internal organs.
Risk of gastric Cancer
According to medical research, H pylori infections increase the risk of gastric cancers.
Also Check: Ways To Prevent Decubitus Ulcers
What Causes Peptic Ulcer
Peptic ulcers happen when the acid from digestive tract consumes away the surface inside the stomach, esophagus or small intestines.
Usually, the inside of digestive tract will be protected by a layer of mucous that can stand against the acid. However, when the acid level increases or the mucous level decrease, that is when the ulcers develop.
There are several causes such as:
- Bacteria: the bacteria named helicobacter pylori which are often found in the mucous layer of small intestines and stomach. Normally, H. pylori might be harmless however, they can inflame the inner layer of stomach which will incur the ulcers. It still remains mysterious how H. pylori might transmit and there is speculation that they can spread through kissing or even water or foods.
- Pain relievers: some over-the-counter as well as prescriptions medications for pain might inflame or irritate the lining of small intestines or stomach. Such medications as ketoprofen, ibuprofen, naproxen and aspirin can trigger the cause of ulcers. Therefore, peptic ulcers often appear on older adults who use those medications often as well as medications for treating osteoarthritis.
- Other medication: the medications called bisphosphonates which is used to treat osteoporosis such as Fosamax, Actonel as well as potassium supplements can also be the causes for ulcers.
Also there might be symptoms which are more severe such as: