What Treatments Can Relieve Ulcer Pain
While over-the-counter medications can treat an upset stomach, they are generally not effective in treating ulcers. And taking over-the-counter painkillers could worsen the problem. That is why its better to see a doctor, who may combine several medications and therapies to relieve pain, cure the infection, and prevent it from worsening. Medications usually include:
Your doctor may also recommend making lifestyle modifications, including:
- Avoiding spicy and oily food
Benefits Of Adding Soup To Your Diet
Having soups in your diet plan can aid the stomach ulcers and various other conditions. This magical dish is a gift of nature that has countless benefits. It is safe to say that soups are gentle on the tummy and tough on the diseases.
- If you are not fond of cooking, there are also affordable choices of food mixes available at your street store, at affordable costs, and good nutritious values.
- Its medicinal and therapeutic benefits for stomach ailments have other benefits that make it even more popular. It helps to keep you hydrated and full, giving you beautiful skin and easy weight loss strategy. It is an all in one wonder package which has a solution for almost every problem.
- Adding soups into your diet can enhance a stomach ulcers treatment effect, but one needs to follow the proper treatment prescribed by their doctors. Maintaining the balance of a healthy diet and following your doctors guidelines can help you heal faster. A stomach ulcer is not an irreversible condition, but only those who follow the guideline mentioned above can recover fully.
What Is A Stomach Ulcer
Stomach ulcers are open sores that develop on the stomach lining. They can also be called gastric ulcers or peptic ulcers. They can affect people from a young age, but they are more common in people over 60 years old. Men are also more likely to have stomach ulcers.
Ulcers occur when acids from digested food damage the wall of your stomach. The most common cause of stomach ulcers is infection from a bacteria called Helicobacter pylori . Another cause is long-term use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medicines .
For a long time, people believed that stomach ulcers were caused by certain lifestyle choices. Many thought that eating spicy foods and experiencing stress were linked to ulcers, but theres no concrete evidence that confirms those beliefs.
In rare cases you could have a cancerous or noncancerous tumor in your stomach, duodenum, or pancreas known as Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.
- Unexplained weight loss
Don’t Miss: Carbohydrate Diet For Ulcerative Colitis
Favorable Juices For Mouth Ulcer:
Treating your mouth ulcer with some tasty and effective juices is one of the nicest methods among all! These canker sores could occur any portion of your mouth and provide you an irritating sensation all the time.
Some favorable juices not only soothe the burning sensation from your canker sores, but also aid to kill the bacterial effects and from those sores and heal the cells gradually.
These types of fluid elements also lend a hand to flushes out the toxins from our body which often led various infections on our skin surface and keep your system cool. It has been observed that more calm system means less mouth ulcer. Consequently, these advantageous juices could benefit you in several ways in the reduction of canker sores smoothly. Letâs check out what kinds of juices are good in such cases-
- Carrot juice
Eat Strawberries If You Have Ulcers
Strawberries help in heart health, they prevent heart disease.
It contains antioxidants that increase the immune system. They also help to reduce high blood pressure and heart failure.
Strawberries help curb H. pylori the ulcer-causing bacteria infection. It is crucial to eat a lot of strawberries if you have ulcers.
You May Like: Can Ulcerative Colitis Cause Cancer
Cranberry Is Great For Stomach Ulcer
If there is infection in the urinary tract you can take to cranberry. It prevents the bacteria to settle on the walls of the urinary bladder. It is also the right compound with can effectively combat the growth of H. pylori. For the condition you can have cranberry juice. You can even eat cranberries and there are cranberry supplements available in the market. You can avail for the same as well. However, there is no recommended dosage. You should not have too much of cranberry. You should not have the fruit in excess. This can cause stomach irritation even if you dont have ulcers. So, make sure that the fruit is taken in the right amount. It is also recommended to have cranberry in the raw form. The commercial juice is once again not right or the stomach as they come with artificial sweetener. So, make sure to take the raw fruit when available.
Orange And Grapefruit Juices
The main foods to avoid with ulcers are orange and grapefruit juices. They are very high in acid and can cause discomfort and the spread of the ulcer virus.
The orange and grapefruit juices are well-known for their powerful acidic nature.
You wont like it if you have an ulcer and eats the juice from the oranges or grapefruits.
You May Like: Can Ulcerative Colitis Cause Blood In Urine
Green Tea And Flavonoid
Emerging research from China shows the potential protective effects of green tea and other foods that are rich in flavonoids against chronic gastritis, H. pylori infection, and stomach cancer. Specifically, these foods seem to inhibit the growth of H. pylori.
In addition, one recent laboratory study of green, white, oolong, and black teas indicated that these teas inhibit the growth of H. pylori but cause no harm to beneficial types of bacteria normally found in the stomach, including L. acidophilus, L. plantarum, and B. lungum. However, this was an in vitro study, which means testing occurred directly between teas and bacteria in the laboratory, and we cannot draw direct conclusions as to what would happen inside the human body between these two substances. Beneficial effects in the laboratory were best when tea steeped for a full five minutes.
Flavonoid-rich foods include garlic, onions, and colourful fruits and vegetables such as cranberries, strawberries, blueberries, broccoli, carrots, and snap peas.4,5
What Are The Best Foods To Eat With A Stomach Ulcer
Stomach ulcers, also known as gastric ulcers, are fairly common. The majority of people with stomach ulcers do not experience any symptoms, but some may experience pain, nausea, diarrhoea, or bloating.
Current research into stomach ulcer diets is based on evidence that suggests that Helicobacter pylori infection plays a role in the formation of stomach ulcers.
Stomach ulcers usually require a combination of medications, including antibiotics. However, there is growing evidence to suggest that eating certain foods can also help get rid of stomach ulcers or, at least, reduce the symptoms they cause.
Keep reading to learn more about the best diet for stomach ulcers, including which foods to eat and avoid.
As well as taking any prescription medications, a person could try including the following food types in their diet:
You May Like: Can I Donate Blood If I Have Ulcerative Colitis
Characteristics Of Nutritional Therapy
The objective of peptic ulcer dietotherapy is to prevent hyper secretion of pepticchloride in order to reduce the sore and pain in the gastric and duodenal mucosa. Inaddition, nutritional therapy aims to promote healing, based on a complex sequence ofevents going from the initial trauma to the repair of the damaged tissue.Investigation of nutritional deficiencies is essential in the preparation of anappropriate recovery diet. In the early 20th century, Sippy proposed adiet based on milk and milk cream, combined with antacids, for treatment ofgastrointestinal ulcer, based on the principle that milk would provide gastricalkalinization and relieve pain. Today milk is not recommended due to the bufferingeffect and the significant gastric acid secretion effect of milk29.
According to Marrota and Floch,calories distribution for patients with peptic ulcer should be normal, with valuesranging from 50-60% of carbohydrates, 10-15% of proteins, and 25-30% of lipids, withtotal energy value sufficient to maintain or recover the nutritional status.
Why Painkillers Can Cause Trouble
You could develop an ulcer if you’re a regular user of some over-the-counter pain relievers like aspirin, ibuprofen, ketoprofen, or naproxen. When you take these nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs too often or for a long time, they inflame the lining of your stomach. Your ulcers won’t have a chance to heal until you stop taking them.
You May Like: Medication For Ulcerative Colitis Flare Up
Apple Cider Vinegar For Mouth Ulcer:
Though, vinegar is not a good thing to take in mouth ulcer because of the high acidic content in such elements but, apple cider vinegar is one exceptional item from that category which actually aids to get rid of these canker sores effectively! The healing properties and antibacterial compound in this product work optimistically on canker sores and clear them out from your mouth entirely. Letâs find out how to use them in mouth ulcer-
- Mix 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar into a Â½ cup of warm water and stir them well finely.
- After that, swish your mouth with this solution and keep every sip for 30-60 seconds into your mouth, before spitting it out.
- Try out this method twice a day and you will get rid of the irritation of mouth ulcer within 4-5 days!
- You can also try 1 tbsp of raw ACV as mouthwash to you sores if you can bare the sour sensation of those mouth ulcers for at least Â½ minute constantly!
Eat Cauliflower If You Have Ulcers
One of the best natural food to eat if you have ulcers is cauliflower.
It contains a high amount of antioxidants that help fight off H. pylori. It also helps in preventing other chronic illness such as blood pressure, and stomach disorders.
Eating this natural food helps neutralize stomach acid and reduce the discomfort caused by the acidic flux.
Therefore, you need to eat this type of food for better health.
Also Check: Snack Ideas For Ulcerative Colitis
Treatments That Target Stomach Acid
How your doctor treats your ulcer depends on its cause. Several types of drugs can cut the amount of acid in your stomach. They also coat your stomach to protect your ulcer so it has a chance to heal. Your doctor may suggest you take an over-the-counter antacid to get some quicker short-term relief.
How To Use Essential Oils In Mouth Ulcer:
Canker sores can be cured with the help of essential oils because the good properties of such products work as the healer of your mouth ulcer and kill the bacterial effects smoothly. The anti-inflammatory properties, antibacterial compounds and healing complex of such products soothe all the irritations of proficiently and normalize the skin naturally. Here we are showing the using method of one essential-oils-made mouthwash, which perform magically on mouth ulcer, take a look-
- Take each peppermint oil, thyme oil, lemon oil, tea tree oil, and geranium oil in 2 drops into a small bowl.
- Now, stir them finely with the help of your fingertips.
- Then, mix 10 ml of brandy with 1 glass of warm water and add that essential oil mixture into that glass smoothly.
- After that, use this solution as mouthwash and wash out your mouth with the homemade liquid remedy frequently.
Read Also: What To Avoid With An Ulcer
Foods To Limit When You Have Acid Reflux And An Ulcer
Some people who have an ulcer also have acid reflux. In some people, certain foods can relax the lower part of the esophagus, known as the lower esophageal sphincter or LES. A relaxed LES makes it easier for acid to back up into the esophagus and cause heartburn, indigestion, and pain.
Foods that may make acid reflux worse include:
What Foods And Beverages Should Be Avoided Or Limited
It is best to avoid any spicy, acidic or high-fat foods. It is suggested that you learn to identify what foods have the worst impact on your peptic ulcer symptoms, everyone is affected by food differently. The foods to avoid pertain to the ones that result in the over-production of stomach acid which can interfere with the healing of the ulcer and irritate the lining of the digestive tract.
The following foods may aggravate the symptoms of an ulcer:
- Chocolate milk and full-fat milk
- Hot chocolate
- Dairy foods that have been made from cream or full-fat milk
- Strongly flavoured or spicy cheeses that contain black pepper or jalapenos
- High-fat meats that are highly seasoned such as ham, cold cuts, bacon and sausage
- Peppers and chillies
- Sugar highly refined sugars found in foods create a harsh environment in the stomach as they are difficult to digest
- Tomatoes – any tomato products such as tomato paste, tomato sauce or tomato juice
- Highly processed carbs such as white bread, cakes, cookies and doughnuts.
- Fried foods such as French fries, potato chips, onion rings.
- Red meat This contains a high amount of protein and takes a longer time to digest, therefore resulting in more stomach acid. Red meat also contains more fat than white meat, this also requires more stomach acid for digestion.
- Chewing gum This causes a build-up of stomach acid as the body detects the saliva in the mouth and chewing as actual food and prepares itself to digest it.
Read Also: How To Stop Ulcerative Colitis Pain
What You Need To Limit With Stomach Ulcers
You need to limit some foods to enable you reduce your stomach ulcers more effectively and safely.
These foods include:
- Alcohol: Alcohol is a stomach irritant and will delay healing of your stomach ulcers therefore, you need to avoid it at all cost.
- Caffeine: caffeinated drinks can increase your stomach acids and may lead to severe stomach pain, therefore, you need to avoid it.
- Quit drinking milk: Studies show that drinking milk while living with stomach ulcers may increase your stomach acids. This can make worsen your stomach pain.
- Certain meats: Meat ar healthy as they are rich in the 9 essential amino acids needed for better health. However, you need to avoid highly-seasoned meats, lunch meats, sausages, and any fried or fatty meats and proteins as they may increase your stomach acid.
- Unhealthy fats: Try to avoid large amounts of added fats especially, the saturated fats and transfat. They can increase your stomach acid and trigger reflux.
- Acidic juice and spicy foods: Chili peppers, horseradish, black pepper, and sauces and condiments may increase your stomach acids. Acidic juice like grapefruit, orange may cause pain or reflux, therefore, avoid them.
- Salty foods: Studies suggest that highly salted foods may promote the growth of H. pylori. Therefore, you can avoid them for your safety.
- Chocolate: Chocolate can increase stomach acid production. In fact, chocolate can triggers reflux symptoms leading to stomach pain.
Foods That Worsen Ulcer Symptoms
Diet can play a large role in both alleviating ulcer pain and healing ulcers. To begin, there are certain foods that should be avoided. Some of these foods relax the lower part of the esophagus, which makes it easier for acid to back up into the esophagus and cause heartburn, indigestion and pain. Others have the ability to generate more acid, which can irritate the open wound of your ulcer.
Read Also: How Can Ulcers Be Treated
Here Some Foods That Help Heal Stomach Ulcers
Cabbage is a good lactic acid food that does a great work by producing amino acid and helps in promoting blood flow to the stomach lining, to heal the ulcer.
Further on, the vitamin C rich cabbage is also helpful for patients with H. pylori infections. Studies also found that fresh carrot juice possess antiulcer factor .
Tip: Make a fresh juice of cabbage and carrot, consume half cup of this juice before each meal and at bedtime. Repeat this for few weeks for better results.
Both raw and ripe bananas are found to be very beneficial in curing stomach ulcer. There are certain antibacterial compounds in bananas that inhibit the growth of ulcer-causing H. pylori. Bananas are best to clear out the acidity of gastric juices that lowers the inflammation and strengthens the stomach lining.
Tip: Eat three ripe bananas in a day to get relief from an ulcer. You can also buy green banana powder, blend 2 tbsp of banana powder and 1 tbsp of honey. Have this mixture 3 times in a day for a week.
We all go for a bland diet to treat an ulcer, but amazingly cayenne pepper is found to be helpful in treating stomach ulcers. As per a study published in Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, the capsaicin compound in cayenne pepper hinders the secretion of stomach acids, promotes the mucus secretions and gastric mucosal blood flow, thus prevents and heals the ulcers.
Tip: Drink fresh coconut milk twice a day for a week for best results.
When To See The Doctor For Ulcers
If you think you have an ulcer, make a point of seeing the doctor. This is especially so if you vomit and notice blood in the vomit or the vomit looks like coffee grounds. Also, if your stool is bloody or has blackish material, it could be a sign of severe ulcers that need immediate medical attention.
Also Check: How Do I Get Rid Of A Stomach Ulcer
Vitamin And Mineral Supplements
If you cannot eat enough foods containing key vitamins and minerals then you may need to take a supplement. If you are unable to manage a varied diet, or have a poor appetite, an A to Z type vitamin and mineral supplement may be necessary and these are available from many high street chemists. If you are managing to eat a full and varied diet then there is no benefit in taking high levels of vitamins and mineral supplements – in fact, this can be harmful.